20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas. Can I get a DWI off my record?

20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas is the first book in the 20 Questions series by Peter M. Lopez. It is currently available to read in ebook form below and for download as a pdf. A paperback version is scheduled to be released this summer.

Each question answered in 20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas is also answered individually for your convenience here on our website if you are searching for answers to specific questions.

As you read, you may discover you have other questions. If so, links to the answers to the other nineteen questions in the book are provided below.

This is the 13th question answered in the book.

13. Can I get the DWI off my record?

Probably not. If you are convicted of driving while intoxicated, it is probably on your record for good. In Texas, there are very few circumstances that entitle you to an expunction. If you have entered a plea of guilty, no contest, or were convicted of DWI after a plea of not guilty, it is extremely unlikely you will be able to have it removed from your record. That is why it is so important to fight DWI charges every step of the way.

If you are arrested but never charged, your case is dismissed with no probation, or if you are acquitted by a jury, you will likely be entitled to an expunction. An experienced criminal defense attorney, hired immediately after an arrest or very early on in the case, can help keep a DWI off your record in the first place and protect your right to have your record wiped clean.

If you are not eligible for an expunction, you still may be eligible for an order of non-disclosure—in essence, a sealing of the records. However, under current Texas law, only cases where deferred adjudication probation is successfully completed are eligible for an order of non-disclosure. As was discussed earlier, DWI offenses are not eligible for deferred adjudication. If you get a DWI reduced to an offense that is eligible for deferred adjudication, and you successfully complete deferred adjudication probation, a non-disclosure order may be sought for that offense only. The DWI arrest, however, will not be included in the order of non-disclosure.

If you have other questions about a DWI arrest in Texas, here are the answers to the other nineteen most frequently questions when arrested for driving while intoxicated

If you or a loved one has been arrested or charged with driving while intoxicated in Texas, call our firm today, and please enjoy 20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas.