20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas. I do not live in Texas, so will my license still be suspended?
20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas is the first book in the 20 Questions series by Peter M. Lopez. It is currently available to read in ebook form below and for download as a pdf. A paperback version is scheduled to be released this summer.
Each question answered in 20 Questions: Arrested for DWI in Texas is also answered individually for your convenience here on our website if you are searching for answers to specific questions.
As you read, you may discover you have other questions. If so, links to the answers to the other nineteen questions in the book are provided below.
This is the 18th question answered in the book.
18. I do not live in Texas, so will my license still be suspended?
Possibly. You need to consult with a qualified criminal defense attorney in your home state, or the state that issued your driver license. If you are convicted of DWI in Texas, and you have a license from another state, your license could still be suspended or be penalized if your state has adopted the Driver License Compact, or some version of it. Texas and most states have adopted the compact.
The five states that have yet to adopt the compact are Michigan, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Georgia, and Massachusetts.
If you have other questions about a DWI arrest in Texas, here are the answers to the other nineteen:
- 1. What will happen if I am convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI) in Texas?
- 2. What does “intoxicated” mean in Texas?
- 3. What if this is not my first DWI?
- 4. Can the police officer take my license?
- 5. Will my driver license be suspended?
- 6. Can I get my driver license back?
- 7. How long will my license be suspended?
- 8. How can my license be suspended for refusal when I asked for a blood test?
- 9. How do I get an occupational license?
- 10. When can I get an occupational license?
- 11. Can I get deferred adjudication to keep a DWI off my record?
- 12. Will my employer find out I got a DWI?
- 13. Can I get the DWI off my record?
- 14. Will I have to appear in Court?
- 15. What if I have to work on the day of my court hearing?
- 16. What if I missed my first court hearing?
- 17. If I wasn’t read my rights, will my case get dismissed?
- 18. I do not live in Texas, so will my license still be suspended?
- 19. I got a DWI in another state, so will my Texas license be suspended?
- 20. What is the difference between DWI and DUI in Texas?